Search This Blog

Halal Food Recipe: Steamed Coconut Pudding [Kuih Talam]




Ingredients for Green Layer:

10 oz rice flour
2 oz sago flour
1 tsp alkaline water (kee) [air kapur]
3 cups coconut milk
10 oz sugar
Butter, for greasing
3 tbsp screwpine juice [pandan] - Substitute: Essence of Coconut + 1 or 2 drops of green food coloring

Ingredients for White Layer:

2 cups coconut milk
2 oz rice flour
3 oz sago flour
A pinch of salt

To Prepare Green Layer:

Sieve rice flour together with sago flour into a mixing bowl. Add coconut milk, sugar and mix well.
Add alkaline water (kee), pandan juice and mix well. Pour mixture into a lightly greased tray, just deep enough to form a 1 inch thick layer. Set tray in a steamer, steam for 1 hr - be sure to check there is enough water in your steamer, from time to time, for the duration of the steaming

To Prepare White Layer:

Sieve rice flour together with sago flour into a mixing bowl. Add coconut milk, a pinch of salt, mix well.
When the green layer is done steaming, carefully remove from steamer, and pour white mixture over the green layer. Return to the steamer, steam for 30 minutes.
When done, carefully remove from steamer. When cool to touch, cut into diamond or triangular shapes, serve warm or cold.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

This pudding looks delicious! I wish I'm allowed to eat this. I'll ask my cosmetic dentist (Los Angeles-based) if it's okay to eat pudding. I can't eat much solid foods for a week because I had my dental implant in Los Angeles. The pain is really terrible that's why she gave me pain relievers. Well anyway, I'll keep your link so I can cook this in the future.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

My Blog List